VBlog Entry 4

            This Second Language Methodology course has been very informational to my future as an educator. I was not exactly sure what this course was going to be like and what we would be learning but as the class progressed I have come to realize the importance of the language. This course has truly shown me the significance of being educated about language in the classroom for the benefit of our students. Wright mentions, “providing effective language and content instruction for ELLs requires a basic understanding of language” (2015, page 28). This is such a general statement but it truly is the stepping-stone to what educators need to know when stepping into a classroom. I have also been reminded of how diverse a classroom can and will be. Every student that walks in my door will be different and it is my job to accommodate each and every one of him or her.
            ELLs are everywhere so it is crucial for teachers to take on their roles as a “communicator, educator, evaluator, an educated human being, and as an agent of socialization” (Wright, 2015, page 28-29). There are a lot of roles to take on but language is everywhere in the classroom and truly is at the heart of learning. There are different approaches and methods when it comes to second language teaching. I plan on knowing my students’ strengths and needs as well as their instructional goals. I also plan on “engaging all learners in the lesson, making learners the focus of the lesson, providing maximum opportunities for student participation, being tolerant of learners’ mistakes, developing learners’ confidence, responding to learners’ difficulties and building on them, using a maximum amount of student-to-student activities, promoting cooperation among learners, and addressing learners’ needs and interests” (Wright, 2015, page 64).
            Overall, I found this class to be very beneficial throughout so I would not change the amount of attention the different topics receive. They were all so informational that I would not change a thing. The only thing I wish could have happened was being able to observe classrooms with ELLs but unfortunately, we were not able to since this is a summer course. Because of this course, I can now confidently say that I feel more prepared to teach in general, but also specifically English Language Learners. These blogs and the interactions with my classmates really helped me get a greater understanding of the material, which is why I feel like this class went so well.   
              I have come to realize the importance of language. Wright mentions, “to help students succeed in the classroom and in school, teachers need to “think linguistically,” that is, teachers need to “understand language as an integral element in the content they teach, the contributions that their students make in the classroom, and how these students participate in lessons and activities” (2015, page 29). I recognize the significance of this statement and it is exactly what I plan on doing in my future classroom. I shared that my teaching philosophy was that I believe that all students no matter race, age, or culture deserve equal opportunities to the same education. This course has made me want to fight ever harder for this in my teaching career because of the importance for equal opportunities. I cannot wait to start student teaching in the fall so I can take what I have learned and apply it in the classroom for the years to come! Thanks for reading!


Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
 

Comments

  1. Hi Marissa! Yes, it is very important not only for you but for everyone (teachers and non-teachers) that each student is different! Just because each student is different does not mean that they do not get the same opportunities. That is way the first step in having students learn a new language is to first focus on making sure they understand what they hear or read from their teachers. According to the text, “we acquire language when we understand messages or obtain comprehensible input” (Wright, 2015, p. 51). I also agree that I wished I would have been able to observe a classroom with ELLs. It would have been very helpful to actually see on a daily basis how ELL students are in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! I'm glad you mentioned comprehensible input since "Krashen points out, that is it the essential ingredient for SLA. He summarizes the five hypotheses with a single claim: "People acquire second languages only if they obtain comprehensible input and if their affective filters are low enough to allow the input 'in.' When the filter is 'down' and appropriate comprehensible input is presented (and comprehended), acquisition is inevitable. It is, in fact, unavoidable and cannot be prevented" (p.4)" (Wright, 2015, page 52). I enjoyed reading about Krashen's theories and even though they are criticized they are the reason why a lot of research has been done.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
    2. Further this in this section about Krashens’ theory, I do not understand why there was so much criticism about his theory. “Krashen does acknowledge a role for some direct teaching, as addressed in the monitor hypothesis, but his theory do not necessarily provide guidance about what should be directly taught and what students will naturally acquire on their own” (Wright, 2015, p. 52). I think a student will learn about anything with the way they are being taught, not by teaching a certain subject.

      Delete
    3. Hi Elizabeth, his theories have been criticized for "their emphasis on acquisition over learning and, in their application to classroom teaching, what seems to be the lack of direct instruction on grammatical and other language forms" (Wright, 2015, page 52). This criticism I can somewhat understand since many people believe learning is the most important part of teaching in the classroom. Although his theories are criticized they still continue to be highly influential.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
  2. Hello Marissa! I also was not sure in the beginning of this course how much information I was going to be getting from this class, but I can now say I have learned soooo much! I feel so much more prepared to teach ELLs after taking this course due to the very useful, helpful and great instruction on how to be an effective teacher when working with ELLs. Wright says, "Whole languages, multiple intelligences, and cooperative learning were not designed specifically for language teaching and learning, but teachers of ELLs have found them well suited for use in language learning classrooms" (2015, pg. 63). Even after taking this course I have even come to believe that this statement is very true. I am super excited to take all of this new knowledge and use it in my future classroom!

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harlie! I found cooperative very interesting and was surprised to read that they weren't designed for language learning and teaching since they work so well. I plan on having cooperative learning in my classroom since it "focuses on the use of small groups within which students collaborate to solve problems or complete academic tasks" (Wright, 2015, page 63). I love the opportunities it provides for students to interact and engage in conversations with their peers.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
  3. Hello Marissa! You mentioned how every student that walks in your door is different and that it is our job to accommodate their different needs. You are correct as Wright mentions, “all students differ in terms of prior knowledge, academic proficiency, learning styles, and sociocultural background” (Wright, 2015, p. 264). This is why the one size fits all approach does not work especially when it comes to ELLs. It truly is our job to meet each ELL at their level and accommodate them to their specific needs. You said you planned to use student-student activities which is great so they can interact with each other. One of my favorite activities/strategies is think-pair-share.
    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tori! Meeting our students needs and accommodating each of them is a big part of differentiated instruction. Wright mentions, "when classrooms have a wide range of diversity in their students' languages and academic proficiency, teachers should not provide all students with the exact curricular materials, lessons, and instruction" (2015, page 265). Differentiated instruction provides tailored instruction to each student to meet their needs and although it is more work it is essential.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
  4. Hi Marissa! I agree that it is important to keep an open mind when teaching ELLs. There is no one right or wrong way to approach teaching. Something that stood out to me was the sheltered instruction model. This is something that I plan to actively seek more information about because I feel as though it could be a really useful program model to apply in schools and classrooms. Sheltered Instruction honors the principle that, “communication involves the integration of different language skills.” (Wright, 2015, p. 62) This is something that I personally believe in as we have learned the importance of being able to read, wright, speak, and listen.

    Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kallie! The SIOP is great for teachers who use sheltered instruction since it "identifies eight key components of effective sheltered instruction: preparation, building background, comprehensible input, strategies, interaction, practice and application, lesson delivery, and review and assessment" (Wright, 2015, page 92). I like how it helps teacher to plan, teach, observe, and evaluate effective instruction for the English Language Learners in their classroom. There are so many different programs so I really am glad I have a better understanding of each of them. I plan on staying informed in regards to the different kinds of instruction.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
  5. Hi Marissa! Just like you this course taught me the importance of the use of language. The use of language in today's society is vital. English is one of the most commonly spoken languages but being bilingual is also very beneficial. Those who are bilingual are in high demand. "The United States needs bilingual citizens who can fulfill myriad jobs in the government, service, business, and education sectors that require bilingual skills to interact with immigrants who have no yet learned English, to communicate with international tourists and other visitors, and to help ensure the country's success in international relations, global business, and national security." (Wright, 2015, p.23)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vblog Entry 2

VBlog Entry 1

VBlog Entry 3