VBlog Entry 1
English language learners can be found in any school in America. According to Wright, ELLs are an "extremely diverse group who are in the process of attaining proficiency in English as a new, additional language" (2010, page 1). The amount of ELL students in the United States is growing rapidly. Because of this, it is very critical for teachers to be able to accommodate these students appropriately by knowing how to teach these students English properly. The vast amount of ELLs is the reason why all teachers need to be trained accordingly. English language learners are so common now that teachers need to have the skills that will allow them to work effectively with these students. I hope that this course, as well as my future training and experiences in the classroom, will provide me the foundation I need to teach any future English language learner students I have. I believe that all students no matter race, age, or culture deserve the same education as anymore else and this includes ELLs. Wright also mentions that “ELLs are entitled to equal access to educational opportunities” (2010, page 2) which I believe translates into having America’s teachers completely prepared to teach any and everyone, including English language learners. During the 2009-2010 school year, there were 726,062 ELLs in the state of Texas. (2010, page 7). I’m sure this number is even greater 9 years later, which intimidates me because of the fact that I plan on teaching in the state of Texas during my entire teaching career. The possibility of having an ELL in my future class is so high that I need to be prepared, which is something this class will help me in. Thanks for reading!
Reference
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hi Marissa! I agree that it is so important to be prepared to work with ELLs in our classroom. Texas has about 15% of their student population classified as an ELL (2010, page 7). As you stated, this number is growing so rapidly. I can foresee this percentage being even higher by the time we are employed next year, and then even raising even higher as we move through our teaching career. It is also super important to remember that ELLs are entitled to equal education opportunities (2010, page 2), like you stated. Inclusion is a very important concept and something that is very hard to master. I am confident that this class will help us become better teachers and more able to work with ELLs in our future classrooms!
ReplyDeleteSo it is obvious that ELLs will definitely be in our future classrooms, especially here in Texas! With that being said, "ELLs also differ substantially in their level of English proficiency" (Wright, 2010, page 12). It is important for educators to remember that there are different levels to listening, speaking, reading, and writing English in the classroom. So students who are labeled ELLs range "from those who speak little to no English to those who are highly advanced" (Wright, 2010, page 12). We could and most likely will have students who are at different levels so it is very important for us to be able to teach these students properly.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hi Marissa! I think your idea of labeling the things in your future classroom in both English and Spanish is an excellent idea! This past semester, while observing a first grade class, I saw this used. It helped English language learners identify things more easily, and also introduced non ELL students to new vocabulary. By the end of the semester all of the students knew that trash can and basura were the same thing no matter what their primary language was. This is also a great way to promote additive bilingualism which, “helps students develop proficiency in a new language without losing his or her home language.” (Wright, 2010, page 21) I think your inclusive outlook on language will help you reach your goal of making an impact in your students’ lives.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners:
DeleteResearch, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second
Edition.
I thought labels would be great in the classroom so ELLs can feel 100% comfortable and not out of place. I believe the goal should be for ELLs to feel just as welcomed as students who only speak English in our future classrooms. Working with ELLs comes with certain factors we must be aware of such as "the linguistic diversity in their schools and surrounding communities" (Wright, 2010, page 16). We need to be able to answer basic questions about our ELLs such as "what countries are the students or their families from?" and "what languages are spoken in their homes?" (Wright, 2010, page 16). Questions like these will allow us to provide effective instruction.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
I love that you bring up helping your ELL students feel 100% comfortable. According to Wright, the educator must act as, "an agent of socialization." This is because many times, "students from immigrant and minority homes may find the culture of the school vastly different from the culture of their home." In fact many times, "the teacher may be their first contact with the social world outside their home, and even their first contact with English." (Wright, 2010, page 29) I think it is important to build a strong community within your classroom and that all starts with the educator. Making ELL students feel welcomed in a new and unfamiliar environment is a great place to start building that community.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
I love that you bring up needing to build a strong community in our classrooms. Teachers play a lot of roles in their classroom including being a "communicator, educator, evaluator, an educated human being and an agent of socialization" as you mentioned (Wright, 2010, page 28-29). If teachers "have a thorough understanding of language then they will be able to perform each of these functions" (Wright, 2010, page 28) properly then students will feel welcomed in the environment, which ultimately strengths the community in the classroom as a whole.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
I think that creating a community within the classroom will highlight what the Common Core Standards states about, "language being the heart of teaching and learning, not just for ELLs but for all students." Many times teachers will try to overcompensate for their students by offering watered down material and that is not what ELLs need. By creating a community your ELL students will feel welcome and on an even playing field which is what they deserve. As Wright mentions, "ELLs are entitled to equal access to educational opportunities” (2015, page 2) When I am in my own classroom I will always make it a priority to remember and enforce that statement.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Marissa,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you stated that ELL students are growing, and teachers need to properly be trained in how to accommodate the students and properly teach them. Wright states, (2015), “ELL growth rate from 1999 to 2010 was over 50%” (p.6). It is important for educators to have the proper skills to teach Ell students, so the students can be successful in their academics. As educators we need to make sure to know our students and understand them, so we know ways to make connections. I agree with you that no matter who the student is no child should be discriminated against. Every student needs the same privileges in their academics. As an educator it is our job to give a safe and healthy learning environment to each student.
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
I completely agree! Educators need to be aware of the factors that contribute to the diversity of ELLs. According to Wright, "the more the teacher knows about a student's experiences, the more he or she can assume about the expertise that student is likely to have" (2010, page 17). This is just one thing a teacher can do to make the student feel welcomed. Teachers also "need to know their students' cultural backgrounds and how culture influences learning at school" (Wright, 2010, page 17). Just doing these two things to know more about ELLs can help teachers provide effective instruction to all of their students.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Marissa! I loved your ideas of what you would incorporate into your classroom to help ELLs learn better. This shows that you have an understanding of the differences in students' backgrounds. Wright mentions, "As teachers begin to understand their students' cultural backgrounds, they must be careful to avoid stereotypes and generalizations" (2010, pg. 17) I thought that statement was something important that we should keep in mind. The last thing we want is to make an ELL uncomfortable and lose trust with a student due to stereotypes. Nor do we want other students believing things that are not true about one's culture. This could lead to many issues in a classroom or school.
ReplyDeleteThat is very true! I agree with Wright when he says, "experience leads to expertise" (2010, page 17). Overtime, we will learn more from our experiences with ELLs that will ultimately help us become experts when it comes to teaching ELLs. There are many misconceptions about ELLs such as "that all ELLs are immigrants, born outside of the United States. Most ELLs are U.S.-born citizens" (Wright, 2010, page 18). It is misconceptions like this that we need to be aware of so we can provide the best education possible to our students!
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete